Carmine Coscia, Ph.D.
Opioid receptors and the effects of opioids on brain development.
Office: DRC, Room 411
Phone: (314) 977-9254
Ph.D., 1962, Fordham University
Opioid receptors are the targets of narcotics such as morphine and heroin. The long-range goal of our research is focused on how opioids affect brain development.
- Acute and chronic mu opioids differentially regulate thrombospondins 1 and 2 isoforms in astrocytes.
Phamduong E, Rathore MK, et al. ACS Chem. Neurosci. (2013) 5(2):106-114.
William S. Sly, M.D.
Experimental approaches to the treatment of murine β-glucuronidase deficiency mucopolysaccharidosis (Sly syndrome) and biochemical and molecular genetics studies of human carbonic anhydrase deficiencies.
Office: DRC, Room 433
Phone: (314) 977-9229
M.D., 1957, Saint Louis University
Areas of research include: (i) experimental approaches to treatment of murine beta-glucuronidase deficiency mucopolysaccharidosis (Sly syndrome), (ii) biochemical and molecular genetics of human deficiencies of beta-glucuronidase and carbonic anhydrases, and (iii) developing transgenic mice and mouse models of human disease by targeted mutagenesis.
- Raine Syndrome (OMIM #259775), caused By FAM20C mutation, is congenital sclerosing osteomalacia with cerebral calcification (OMIM 259660).
Whyte MP, McAlister WH, Fallon MD, Pierpont ME, Bijanki VN, Duan S, Otaify GA, Sly WS, Mumm S. J Bone Miner Res. (2016) Nov 10 [Epub ahead of print].
- Carbonic anhydrase enzymes II, VII, IX and XII in colorectal carcinomas.
ViikilŠ P, KivelŠ AJ, Mustonen H, Koskensalo S, Waheed A, Sly WS, Pastorek J, Pastorekova S, Parkkila S, Haglund C. World J Gastroenterol. (2016) 22(36):8168-8177.
- Loss of carbonic anhydrase XII function in individuals with elevated sweat chloride concentration and pulmonary airway disease.
Lee M, Vecchio-Pag‡n B, Sharma N, Waheed A, Li X, Raraigh KS, Robbins S, Han ST, Franca AL, Pellicore MJ, Evans TA, Arcara KM, Nguyen H, Luan S, Belchis D, Hertecant J, Zabner J, Sly WS, Cutting GR. Hum Mol Genet. (2016) 25(10):1923-1933.
- Clinical course of sly syndrome.
Montano AM, Lock-Hock N, et al. J Med Genet. (2016) 53(6):403-418.
- Pharmacologic manipulation of lysosomal enzyme transport across the blood-brain barrier.
Urayama A, Grubb JH, Sly WS, Banks WA. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. (2016) 36(3):476-486.
- Large scale analysis of the mutational landscape in β-glucuronidase: A major player of mucopolysaccharidosis type VII.
Khan FI, Shahbaaz M, Bisetty K, Waheed A, Sly WS, Ahmad F, Hassan MI. Gene. (2016) 576(1 Pt 1):36-44.