Joel Eissenberg, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Mechanisms of gene activation and gene silencing as well as aspects of transcriptional regulation using Drosophila as a model system.
Office: DRC, Room 421
Voice: (314) 977-9235
Ph.D., 1982, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Research in my lab concerns four aspects of transcriptional regulation: histone biotinylation and gene expression; transcriptional activation and chromatin remodeling; RNA polymerase elongation factors and gene regulation; and heterochromatin and gene regulation. We use the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, as a model to study mechanisms of gene activation and gene silencing.
- Polyphosphate amplifies proinflammatory responses of nuclear proteins through interaction with receptor for advanced glycation end products and P2Y1 purinergic receptor.
Dinarvand P, Hassanian SM, et al. Blood. (2013) Nov 19 [Epub ahead of print].
- Seed and soil: A conceptual framework of metastasis for clinicians.
Faraji F, Eissenberg JC. Mo Med. (2013) 110(4):302-308.
- In vitro veritas: 90 years of biochemistry at Saint Louis University.
Eissenberg JC, Di Cera E. Mo Med. (2013) 110(4):297-301.
- The little elongation complex functions at initiation and elongation phases of snRNA gene transcription.
Hu D, Smith ER, et al. Mol Cell. (2013) 51(4):493-505.
- Telomeres, cancer & aging: Live long & prosper?
Eissenberg JC. Mo Med. (2013) 110(1):11-6.
- The unique GGA clathrin adaptor of Drosophila melanogaster is not essential.
Luan S, Ilvarsonn AM, Eissenberg JC. PLoS ONE. (2012) 7(9):e45163.
- Structural biology of the chromodomain: Form and function.
Eissenberg JC. Gene. (2012) 496(2):69-78.
- The little elongation complex (LEC) regulates small nuclear RNA transcription.
Smith ER, Lin C, Garrett AS, Thornton J, Mohaghegh N, Jackson J, Saraf A, Swanson SK, Seidel C, Florens L, Washburn MP, Eissenberg JC, Shilatifard A. Mol Cell. (2011), 44:954-965.
- The role of MOF in the ionizing radiation response is conserved in Drosophila melanogaster.
Bhadra MP, Horikoshi N, Pushpavallipvalli SNCVL, Sarkar A, Bag I, Krishan A, Lucchesi JC, Kumar R, Yang Q, Pandita RK, Singh M, Bhadra U, Eissenberg JC, Pandita TK. Chromosoma. (2012) 121(1):79-90.