David A. Ford, Ph.D.
Biochemical mechanisms responsible for the pathophysiological sequelae of cardiovascular diseases, including ischemic heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Office: DRC, Room 325
Voice: (314) 977-9264
Ph.D., 1985, University of Missouri-Columbia
We are interested in biochemical mechanisms responsible for the pathophysiological sequelae of cardiovascular diseases including ischemic heart disease and atherosclerosis. Areas of research focus on enzymic and free radical targeting of membrane phospholipids, alterations in lipid metabolism, and alterations in signaling pathways as mechanisms involved in cardiovascular diseases. We combine our expertise using physiological models of disease coupled with expertise in mass spectrometry and bioorganic techniques to reveal new mechanistic insights into cardiovascular disease.
- Obesity-related alterations in cardiac lipid profile and nondipping blood pressure pattern during transition to diastolic dysfunction in male db/db mice.
Demarco VG, Ford DA, et al. Endocrinology. (2013) 154(1):159-71.
- Cholesterol efflux analyses using stable isotopes and mass spectrometry.
Brown RJ, Shao F, et al. Anal Biochem. (2012) 433(1):56-64.
- Dietary trans-fatty acid induced NASH is normalized fFollowing loss of trans-fatty acids from hepatic lipid pools.
Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Ford DA, et al. Lipids. (2012) 47(10):941-50.
- miR-33 controls the expression of biliary transporters, and mediates statin- and diet-induced hepatotoxicity.
Allen RM, Marquart TJ, et al. EMBO Mol Med. (2012) 4(9):882-95.
- Strategies for the analyses of chlorinated lipids in biological systems.
Wacker BK, Albert CJ, et al. Free Radic Biol Med. (2012) Jun 17 [Epub ahead of print].
- MALDI mass spectrometric imaging of cardiac tissue following myocardial infarction in a rat coronary artery ligation model.
Menger RF, Stutts WL, et al. Anal Chem. (2012) 84(2):1117-25.
- Electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry of sodiated adducts of cholesterol esters.
Bowden JA, Shao F, et al. Lipids. (2011) 46(12):1169-79.
- Analysis of cholesteryl esters and diacylglycerols using lithiated adducts and electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry.
Bowden JA, Albert CJ, et al. Anal Biochem. (2011) 417(2):202-10.
- Lipid oxidation by hypochlorous acid: Chlorinated lipids in atherosclerosis and myocardial ischemia.
Ford DA. Clin Lipidol. (2011) 5(6):835-52.
- An examination of pentafluorobenzoyl derivatization strategies for the analysis of fatty alcohols using gas chromatography/electron capture negative ion chemical ionization-mass spectrometry.
Bowden JA, Ford DA. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. (2011) 879(17-18):1375-83.