William S. Sly, M.D.
Professor and James B. and Joan C. Peter Endowed Chair in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Experimental approaches to the treatment of murine β-glucuronidase deficiency mucopolysaccharidosis (Sly syndrome) and biochemical and molecular genetics studies of human carbonic anhydrase deficiencies.
Office: DRC, Room 433
Phone: (314) 977-9229
M.D., 1957, Saint Louis University
Areas of research include: (i) experimental approaches to treatment of murine beta-glucuronidase deficiency mucopolysaccharidosis (Sly syndrome), (ii) biochemical and molecular genetics of human deficiencies of beta-glucuronidase and carbonic anhydrases, and (iii) developing transgenic mice and mouse models of human disease by targeted mutagenesis.
- Correction: High resolution crystal structure of human beta-glucuronidase reveals structural basis of lysosome targeting.
Hassan MI, Waheed A, et al. PLoS One. (2015) 10(9):e0138401.
- Therapies for the bone in mucopolysaccharidosis.
Tomatsu S, Almeciga-Diaz CJ, et al. Mol Genet Metab. (2015) 114(2):94-109.
- First human treatment with investigational rhGUS enzyme replacement therapy in an advanced stage MPS VII patient.
Fox JE, Volpe L, et al. Mol Genet Metab. (2015) 114(2):203-208.
- The Nobel path of cellular proteins.
Eisenberg JC, Sly WS. Mo Med. (2014) 111:114-119.
- Morquio A syndrome: diagnosis and current and future therapies.
Tomatsu S, Yasuda E, et al. Pediatr Endocrinol. (2014) 12(Suppl 1):141-151.
- Enzyme replacement therapy in newborn mucopolysaccharidosis IVA mice: Early treatment rescues bone lesions?
Tomatsu S, Montano AM, et al. Mol Genet Metab. (2015) 114(2):195-202.
- Expression patterns and subcellular localization of carbonic anhydrases are developmentally regulated during tooth formation.
Reibring CG, El Shahawy M, et al. PLoS One. (2014) 9(5):e96007.
- Luminol-based chemiluminescent signals: clinical and non-clinical application and future uses.
Khan P, Idrees D, et al. Appl biochem Biotechnol. (2014) 173(2):333-355.
- Expression of cancer-related carbonic anhydrases IX and XII in normal skin and skin neoplasms.
Syrjanen L, Luukkaala T, et al. APMIS. (2014) 122(9):880-90.
- Mitochondrial carbonic anhysrase VA deficiency resulting from CA5A alterations presents with hyperammonemia in early childhood.
van Karnebeek CD, Sly WS, et al. Am J Hum Genet. (2014) 94(3):453-461.