David Q.-H. Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Internal Medicine-Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Biochemical and genetic mechanisms of hepatic and biliary lipid metabolism and pathophysiology of gallstones, cholestasis, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Office: DRC, Room 205
Voice: (314) 977-8737
M.D., Ph.D., 1992, Shanghai Second Medical University, China
We are interested in the molecular and genetic mechanisms of cholesterol homeostasis and the pathophysiology of cholesterol-related diseases. Our current research focuses on the pathophysiology of cholesterol gallstone disease and genetic analysis of gallstone (Lith) genes, the molecular physiology and genetics of the intestinal cholesterol and fatty acid absorption, the biochemistry of bile formation, and the physical-chemistry of cholesterol crystallization in bile. Also, our research is directed principally at a specific area that appears to be fundamental to understanding nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome.
- The Biliary System.
Wang DQ-H, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Portincasa P. Morgan & Claypool Life Sciences, Princeton, New Jersey. (2012) pp. 1-146.
- The therapy of gallstone disease: what it was, what it is, what it will be.
Portincasa P, Di Ciaula A, Bonfrate L, Wang DQ-H. World J Gastrointest. Pharmacol Therap. (2012) 3:7-20.
- Role of mitochondria in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease-from origin to propagation.
Grattagliano I, de Bari O, Bernardo TC, Oliveira PJ, Wang DQ-H, Portincasa P. Clin Biochem. (2012) 45:610-618.
- Intestinal absorption, hepatic synthesis, and biliary secretion of cholesterol: Where are we for cholesterol gallstone formation?
Portincasa P, Wang DQ-H. Hepatology. (2012) 55:1313-1316.
- Interactions between bile acids and nuclear receptors and their effects on lipid metabolism and liver diseases.
Wang DQ-H, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Portincasa P, Pandak MW. J Lipids. (2012) 560:715-717.
- Ezetimibe: its novel effects on the prevention and the treatment of cholesterol gallstones and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
De Bari O, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Liu M, Portincasa P, Wang DQ-H. J Lipids. (2012) 530:2847-2863.
- A pleiotropic role for the orphan nuclear receptor small heterodimer partner (SHP) in lipid homeostasis and metabolic pathways.
Garruti G, Wang HH, Bonfrate L, de Bari O, Wang DQ-H, Portincasa P. J Lipids. (2012) 304:292-314.
- Mitochondria in chronic liver disease.
Grattagliano, I, Russmann S, Diogo C, Bonfrate L, Oliveira P, Wang DQ-H, Portincasa P. Curr Drug Targets. (2011) 12:879-893.
- Apolipoprotein E reduces food intake via PI3K/Akt signaling pathway in the hypothalamus.
Shen L, Wang DQ-H, Tso P, Jandacek RJ, Stephen C. SC, Liu M. Physiol Behav. (2011) 105:124-128.
- Dissecting the genetic heterogeneity of gallbladder stone formation.
Krawczyk M, Wang DQ-H, Portincasa P, Lammert F. Sem Liver Dis. (2011) 31:157-172.