Goals and Expectations:
The Program is meant to promote the research opportunities available in the Departments of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Pharmacology & Physiology, and Pathology at Saint Louis University among undergraduate students interested in pursuing Ph.D. and M.D./Ph.D. training in the Core Graduate Program at Saint Louis University.
- will be matched according to their interests with faculty sponsors after meeting them during an orientation day at SLU in March.
- will become familiar with the selected area of research prior to starting their summer research.
- will spend 10 summer weeks working full-time as part of their sponsor’s research team.
Summer students will learn about the research interests and career paths of current students and faculty in the department. Students will give an oral presentation at the end of the Program highlighting their research project.
Criteria for admission:
- be full-time undergraduates who are eligible to work in the US.
- have completed at least two years of college.
- have an interest in science as documented by college transcripts, an essay/personal statement, and, when requested, recommendation letters from at least two professors.
No previous research experience is required, but students must be familiar with basic laboratory techniques and literature reading, which are typically provided by undergraduate courses such as quantitative analysis, cell biology, genetics, and biochemistry/chemistry.
Duration of the 2017 Summer Program: May 30 (Tuesday) - August 4 (Friday), 2017.
Deadline for Applications: January 31 (Tuesday), 2017.
Invitations/Offers: e-mailed by February 21 (Tuesday), 2017.
Deadline for offer acceptance: March 3 (Friday), 2017.
Winners announced: March 6 (Monday), 2017.
Early Orientation Day at SLU will be scheduled in the spring prior to the May start date.
Each student accepted for the Doisy Summer Research Program will receive a stipend of $6200 for the duration of the program, to cover the cost of housing, meals, and transportation. The housing options will be prearranged at the time of orientation in the spring. All students are expected to have no other work arrangements for the duration of the Program.
Submission of applications:
The application deadline is January 31, 2017. Applications should be submitted online at: 2017 Doisy Summer Research Application
Please note that Letters of Recommendation and transcripts will be requested only for selected individuals after the initial review is completed. The Program Director will contact References via email and provide a link to the online recommendation form sometime in February 2017.
Program Contact Information:
For the 2016 application cycle, we received a total of 48 applications submitted from 30 different institutions, as detailed in the chart to the right.
Students from all previous years of the program can be
viewed here: Previous Participants